A house fire in New Jersey being blamed on bedbugs, and the homeowner’s attempt to get rid of them.

(Lanigan) “It’s just sad, devastating to ‘em.”

Neighbor Thomas Lanigan on the home in Woodbury, New Jersey which appears to be a total loss.

A county spokesperson saying the homeowner was apparently using a space heater, hair dryer and heat gun to try and wipe out the pests when the combination sparked a fire.

The Environmental Protection Agency says very high sustained heat can kill bedbugs, but special equipment is needed.

The homeowner hospitalized with injuries. Fire safety personnel urging those with bed bug infestations to call in the professionals.

Continue reading →