There are relatively few important issues for this coming election, precisely because getting these wrong will have dire effects for the country. One of them is the environment. Conservatives point out that the free market is the best protector of the environment—Thomas Sowell explained in Knowledge and Decisions:
It is precisely those things which belong to ‘the people’ which have historically been despoiled—wild creatures, the air, and waterways being notable examples. This goes to the heart of why property rights are socially important in the first place. Property rights mean self-interested monitors. No owned creatures are in danger of extinction. No owned forests are in danger of being levelled. No one kills the goose that lays the golden egg when it is his goose.
But the Left for a long time has used environmentalism to justify bloating the government so that its tentacles are everywhere: restricting our freedom and confiscating even more of our earnings.
Global warm-mongering pseudoscience
Maybe the RINO president Nixon was well meaning when he signed the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) into law. But not surprisingly—as this is the fate of most government departments— this has been taken over by leftist radicals who love the power (compare it with the TSA, founded under another soft Republican president, now fighting tooth and nail for the right to grope innocent airline passengers). They even want to tax, literally, the air we breathe with their rapacious “carbon tax”, penalizing plant food, CO2. Their excuse is the global warm-mongering scam, spawned by the German National Socialists. (Shh: don’t tell the EPA that water vapor is by far the most important greenhouse gas, or they might tax kettles). And their bullying regulations will cost hundreds of thousands of jobs in the coal industry and cause electricity prices to skyrocket—just as Obama wants.
As you are considering who to vote for in the coming GOP presidential primaries, put a big black mark against any who have fallen for this mad warm-mongering scam. The last thing we need is RINO candidates like Romney, Huntsman and Gingrich who have bought into this; the latter even making an ad with Nancy Pelosi! This despite the fact that the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has made embarrassing scientific blunders. A leading climate modeller, Australian scientist David Evans spills the beans on what it’s really about: control, not science:
The whole idea that carbon dioxide is the main cause of the recent global warming is based on a guess that was proved false by empirical evidence during the 1990s. But the gravy train was too big, with too many jobs, industries, trading profits, political careers, and the possibility of world government and total control riding on the outcome. So rather than admit they were wrong, the governments, and their tame climate scientists, now outrageously maintain the fiction that carbon dioxide is a dangerous pollutant.
It’s vital that Patriots undermine Leftists’ smugness and self-confessed compassion—by pointing out that their policies hurt those they claim to want to help (see previous Patriot column The Left vs the Poor). The warm-mongering scam is no exception. David Evans points out:
“Even if we stopped emitting all carbon dioxide tomorrow, completely shut up shop and went back to the Stone Age, according to the official government climate models it would be cooler in 2050 by about 0.015 degrees. But their models exaggerate 10-fold — in fact our sacrifices would make the planet in 2050 a mere 0.0015 degrees cooler!”
One of the best ways is showing that leftist ecofascists fail even under their own perspective. That is, even granting their premises for the purpose of the argument, their solutions do more harm than good for the environment. Here are a few examples:
- Earth day: remember how environmental moral preeners switched of their electric lights and lit candles “to save Mother Earth”? Well, the candle emitted much more CO2 than was emitted by the generator that ultimately powered the bulb!
- Speaking of light bulbs, don’t even get me started on the idiotic Congressional ban on the great Edison invention: incandescent light bulbs. Instead, we are forced to buy dimmer bulbs that don’t last as long and don’t work with dimmer switches, and are a likely mercury hazard. It’s a strong plus for Michele Bachmann that she has introduced a repeal of this liberty-sapping ban.
- Electric cars: leftists love these so much that they force taxpayers to subsidize them. But a recent study from Britain showed that are not so green after all: “Electric cars could produce higher emissions over their lifetimes than petrol equivalents because of the energy consumed in making their batteries.”
- Wind power: this is most popular with liberals (as long as it doesn’t spoil their own view, as with the late unlamented Teddy Kennedy). But it turns out that their huge blades are devastating the rare golden eagle (see also this video). And in the UK, which is far more liberal than America, wind turbines have slaughtered thousands of bats, which keep down insect pests. Now these pests have cost farmers millions of pounds.
- Toilets: the EPA despots limited the amount of water that could be used—even in areas with no need to conserve. Of course, this means that they must be flushed more than once now, with more water used overall, not less.
- The EPA has also banned trisodium phosphate from dishwashing detergents, so dishes have been streakier and dirtier. Once again, it was counterproductive, because people ran their dishwasher more than once. Fortunately this can be remedied (for now) by buying the pure material and adding a tablespoon to the load.
Cars and horses
Many fall for ecofascist scams because they don’t consider the alternatives. For example, they resent even the faintest whiff of car exhaust with the scents of flowers in an idyllic landscape untarnished by machinery. But this never existed! The book Super-Freakanomics provides a useful reality check:
Do you know that New York city in the 1890s had a major crisis: huge pollution and sanitation problems, traffic snarl-ups, and many people dying from road accidents just like now? Not from the motorcar, but from the horse! Even worse:
“The average horse produced about 24 pounds of manure a day. With 200,000 horses (in New York), that’s nearly 5 million pounds of horse manure. A day. Where did it go?”
Well, when it rained, it flowed. Everywhere. Ever admire the elegant houses with stoops leading up to the door from the pavement? Well, that was to stop the horse poop from flowing in! And of course, this manure was a wonderful breeding ground for disease-spreading flies.
This was a worldwide problem so horrendous that New York hosted the first international urban planning conference in 1898. They found no solution. But they were rescued anyway, without any government help—the much maligned invention of Henry Ford came to the rescue.
This coming election in 2012 is pivotal: in Reagan’s words in 1964:
“Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capital can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves”?
It’s time for Patriots to hold Liberals’ feet to the fire, and force them to defend their absurd meddling that fails to do even what they claim.