There will always be doubts as to what transpired between Wilson and Brown. The latter is dead, Officer Wilson has his story, and Johnson has his.

On its face, the fact that Brown committed a robbery minutes before his confrontation with a police officer imparts infinitely more credibility to any account given by Officer Wilson over Brown’s or Johnson’s – and this is not because I believe that cops never lie. It is because people who are predisposed to violent criminal acts (like strong-arm robbery) are simply much more likely to get belligerent with a cop than most people.

Yet angry Ferguson residents and elements of the press are attempting to make a big deal over the fact that Wilson reportedly did not stop Brown and Johnson on suspicion of the robbery; he stopped them because they were walking in the middle of the street. This is wholly irrelevant to what subsequently transpired.

Although we may never know the truth of it, the fact that Brown did commit a robbery minutes before being contacted by a police officer exponentially increases the likelihood that his attitude when contacted by Wilson was confrontational, or even violent. Even eyewitness accounts from immediately after the shooting tend to confirm the police narrative.

Yet there is a presumption on the part of some Ferguson residents and observers that somehow, since the deceased was a young black man and the officer a white man, a murder was committed, and the entire affair has become fraught with political overtones, propaganda, and deception. It has literally been impossible from the beginning of the case for the Ferguson authorities to follow the requisite protocols for determining the facts thereof, reporting them, implementing disciplinary measures (if appropriate), or filing charges (if appropriate) against Officer Wilson. The Governor’s curfew presents even more potential problems; should it be violated, and residents are arrested, injured, or worse, police could be accused of even more summary “racist” actions.

Continue reading →