The United States has a rich history of which all Americans can be proud. It’s not perfect, but it is very good. America’s record among the community of nations is a sterling example of what people of good will can do when they enjoy the blessings of liberty, freedom, and self-determination. But liberals don’t see things this way. To them America’s history is a shameful record characterized by military adventurism, imperialism, and exploitation. Most liberals can find little good to say about America—past or present—and they use our nation’s public schools, colleges, and universities to pass their disdain on to successive generations of susceptible young people. Here are some examples of how liberals view America’s history and teach it in the public schools:
- The American Revolution was flawed because it failed to free the slaves. The French Revolution was better (in spite of the orgy of mass murder).
- America’s Founding Fathers were a bunch of patriarchal slaveholders unworthy of more than a brief mention in history books.
- Democracy is a good thing—provided the left is in control.
- All southerners during the War Between the States were bad—they all fought to preserve slavery.
- California and Texas were taken from their rightful owners—Mexico—by Yankee imperialists backed by the U.S. military. Those Americans killed at the Alamo got what they deserved.
- The Panama Canal is an example of the forceful expansionism and international bullying of an American president.
- Hoover caused the Great Depression by relying on free-market economics and FDR ended it through government intervention. World War II had nothing to do with America’s economic recovery.
- World War I and II were fought to help America’s imperialist allies retain their colonies worldwide.
- Dropping the atomic bombs on Nagasaki and Hiroshima amounted to war crimes on the part of the U.S. military.
- Joseph McCarthy was wrong about there being communists in the U.S. government.
- Vietnam was an unjust war, soldiers who fought there are baby killers, and the only heroes of the war are those who burned their draft cards and refused to serve in the military.
- Johnson’s “war on poverty” is an excellent example of how government programs can make the world a better place.
- Because of the crushing remnants of slavery, minorities in America will perpetually need and should be given special privileges such as Affirmative Action to level the playing field.
- Ronald Reagan was an over-the-hill politician who acted his way into the presidency. He was one of the worst presidents in America’s history.
- Government programs, statism, and socialism are good. Private enterprise and free markets are bad.
- Freedom of the press is a good thing, but conservative talk radio should be outlawed.
- The Bill of Rights is commendable, but the Second Amendment should be repealed.
- The religious freedom in the First Amendment does not apply to Christian businesses that are singled out for bullying tactics by homosexual advocacy groups.
Readers can probably add examples of their own concerning how liberals view America’s history. Nothing is more hypocritical than exploiting the Constitutional freedoms granted to all Americans to distort the history of the nation that affords those very freedoms to its citizens. But this is exactly what liberals do when they purposefully distort America’s history. What is worse is that these distortions are what liberals are teaching your children if you send them to public schools.