Back in 2009 my colleague, Archie Jones, and I wrote a book titled Born to Lie (still available at www.patriotdepot.com). The book chronicled Barack Obama’s broken promises and empty campaign pledges. By comparing what Obama said with what he actually did, we painted a picture of a president who is rarely even in the same zip code as the truth. Numerous issues have undermined the credibility of President Obama—all of them self-inflicted. But nothing has turned American’s off to this president more than his willingness to lie to them, both by commission and omission. Even as the mainstream media does everything in its power to shelter the president from his own dishonest propensities, Americans have caught on and, as a result, do not trust their president.
Small wonder. In spite of having his distortions, convenient omissions, and worm-worded statements pointed out and corrected repeatedly by such organizations as the Media Research Center, President Obama—protected by his leftwing comrades in the media—continues to look the camera in the eye and lie to the American people. His playing fast and loose with the truth is so dependable that TOWNHALL can dedicate a full page in its magazine every month to the president’s latest distortions.
This monthly column is called “Top Obamateurisms.” I commend this column to readers of Patriot Update. It makes for some interesting, if frustrating, reading. For example, TOWNHALL’s June 2012 edition of “Top Obamateurisms” chronicles the following statements by President Obama, statements that fall well short of the truth:
- “No family making less than $250,000 a year will see any form of tax increase.” If you believe this, I hope you earn less than $30,000 annually and you better hope Obamacare is repealed.
- “But what I can guarantee is that we will have in the first year an immigration bill that I strongly support.” Not only did he not produce the promised bill, he has spent his time suing states that have attempted to produce bills of their own.
- “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.” Only if the government allows you to, and provide he is still in practice after Obamacare is implemented.
- “My administration is committed to creating an unprecedented level of openness in government.” A more secretive, closed president has not served in the White House.
- “I will not sign any non-emergency bill without giving the American people an opportunity to review and comment on the White House website.” This promise lasted as long as it took to sign the first bill. But, of course, the president would probably claim that every bill he has signed has been an emergency bill. Remember that little problem he has with the truth.
- “No political appointee in the Obama-Biden administration will be permitted to work on regulations or contracts directly and substantially related to their prior employer for two years.” Are there any Obama appointees whose prior employment is not related to the work he or she is doing?
- “I’ll give an annual State of the World address to the American people where I lay out national security policy.” This has not happened, but if it did the address would be one of the shortest he has ever given. All he would have to say is: The world is a mess and many of the problems are my fault.
Archie Jones and I have contemplated writing a sequel to our book, Born to Lie. Unfortunately, neither of us can write fast enough to keep up with the President’s distortions. Instead, we will leave the chronicling of President Obama’s on-going aversion to the truth to the good folks at TOWNHALL. They have the benefit of being a monthly publication.